Tomatillos, of course, are the base of this Tomatillo Salsa recipe. Tomatillos are green and resemble miniature tomatoes. They are a great base for many salsas, and if you see a green salsa you can guess that it was made with a tomatillo base. This tomatillo salsa recipe makes 2 cups.
What You Need
1 pound tomatillos, husked
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
2 canned chipotle chiles, finely chopped
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
What To Do
1. Heat your broiler and cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Place tomatillos on baking sheet and broil 5-6 inches from heat for 15-18 minutes, turning occasionally. (Tomatillos will darken in spots.)
3. Remove tomatillos from broiler, allow to cool, then finely chop.
4. Warm olive oil in a skillet, then add onion and sauté until softened.
5. In a bowl, combine onion and tomatillos. Stir in all remaining ingredients.
6. Serve warm or cold.
7. May be served warm or cold.
Return to Salsa Recipes index
Barbecue Sauce Recipes