German Chocolate Cake Recipe
What You Need
4 oz. Ghirardelli Sweet Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup water
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup unsifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line three 8-inch cake pans with wax paper.
2. In a heavy saucepan, melt broken chocolate in water over low heat. Stir until smooth, then set aside.
3. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.
5. Add melted chocolate, plus vanilla, and mix.
6. Sift flour and baking soda together, then add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to batter. Mix until smooth.
7. Beat egg whites with salt until very stiff peaks form, then fold into batter.
8. Spread batter into prepared pans.
9. Bake 30-35 minutes; allow to cool 10 minutes on rack before removing cakes to frost with coconut frosting or other favorite frosting.
Return to Chocolate Cake Recipes index
Carrot Cake Recipes
Pound Cake Recipes
Cookie Recipes Recipes
Banana Bread Recipes
Dessert Recipes Index