This Empire Apple Pie recipe makes 8 servings.
What You Need
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
5 tablespoons cold milk
* * * *
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
6 cups sliced, peeled Empire Apples
1 tablespoon margarine
1 teaspoon sugar
What To Do
1. Combine the 2 cups flour and salt.
2. Using pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add all milk at one time, stirring with fork only until combined.
4. With hands, gather dough into ball and let rest in bowl 10 minutes while preparing filling.
5. In large bowl, combine the 1 cup sugar, the 3 tablespoons flour and spices. Add Apples and toss until evenly coated; set aside.
6. On floured surface or pastry cloth, roll half of dough into 12-inch circle.
7. Ease pastry into pie plate. Fill pastry with prepared Apple filling.
8. Cut margarine into small pieces and place over filling.
9. Repeat rolling of remaining dough; cut slits in top. Lightly moisten edge of bottom pastry with water. Place top pastry over filling and cut off excess pastry leaving 1/2 inch overhang. Turn top crust under bottom crust to seal; crimp.
10. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
11. Bake in 375F oven about 1 hour 10 minutes or until golden brown and Apples are tender, covering edges with foil to prevent over browning, if necessary. Serve warm or cold.
Source: Michigan Apple Committee
Return to Apple Pie Recipes index
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
Pecan Pie Recipes
Cake Recipes Recipes
Banana Bread Recipes
Dessert Recipes Index