Mock Apple Pie is an apple pie that doesn't use apples. Mock Apple Pie recipes originated during World War II, when apples were scarce. Inventive cooks combined various ingredients in mock apple pie recipes in an attempt to mimic both the taste and texture of real apple pie. This Mock Apple Pie recipe serves 6.
What You Need
2 unbaked pie crusts
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
40 Ritz crackers
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Juice and grated rind of one lemon
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Make or purchase your favorite pie crust, both top and bottom.
2. Boil water, sugar and cream of tartar, then add whole Ritz crackers, one at a time. Boil 2 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. Pour into prepared pie shell and cover with top crust. Slit top to release steam.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake another 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Return to Apple Pie Recipes index
Pumpkin Pie Recipes
Cake Recipes Recipes
Banana Bread Recipes
Dessert Recipes Index