This Butterscotch Pie recipe makes 1 pie. This meringue-topped pie is a regional favorite in the Midwest states of the U.S.
What You Need
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 cups milk
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 large egg yolks
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
What To Do
Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in half cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork, stir in just enough water to moisten flour. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten slightly. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Preheat oven to 475F.
2. Roll out chilled pie dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle.
3. Place rolled out dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim 1 inch from outside edge. Crimple edges, prick bottom and sides. Bake 8-10 minutes (until lightly browned), then cool completely.
4. Turn oven down to 350F.
5. Melt 1/4 cup butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
6. Stir in brown sugar, then add 2 1/2 cups milk and stir until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking another 5-7 minutes, until mixture bubbles around edges.
7. Add remaining 1/2 cup milk, cornstarch and egg yolks to a medium bowl and whisk.
8. Add a small amount of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture while whisking to mix well. Then gradually add the egg yolk mixture into the hot milk mixture.
9. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking until mixture thickens (about a minute longer), then immediately pour into prepared crust.
10. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl at high speed until foamy. Continue beating while gradually adding the half-cup of sugar until glossy, stiff peaks form and meringue is smooth. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
11. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of crust.
12. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned.
12. Cool 1 hour, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Return to Pie Recipes index
Cake Recipes Recipes
Dessert Recipes Index