Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
Chicken fried steak, sometimes called country fried steak, is a popular favorite particularly in the southern U.S. Set up a coating station for this chicken fried steak recipe.
What You Need
4 beef cubed steaks
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon
2 teaspoons dry mustard
Vegetable oil for frying
4 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups milk
What To Do
1. Mix 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish.
2. Mix buttermilk, egg, mustard and bouillon in second shallow dish, using a whisk. Then add remaining salt and pepper to this dish.
3. Dip each steak first into the flour mixture (tapping to shake off excess), then into buttermilk mixture, then again into flour mixture (again shaking off excess).
4. Add 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to frying pan and heat over medium-high heat to a temperature of 360F.
5. Drop steaks into hot oil. Cook 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown.
6. Transfer steaks to paper towels to drain; keep warm.
7. Drain off all but 4 tablespoons of oil from skillet. Whisk 4 tablespoons flour in oil over medium heat.
8. Slowly add 2 1/2 cups milk, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and just begins to boil.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Transfer steaks to serving dishes and spoon gravy over top to serve.
Return to Beef Recipes index
More Main Dish Recipes