This Chicken Bourbon recipe makes 8 servings.
What You Need
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 3 pounds
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons shallots, minced
2 medium pears, finely chopped
4 cups oyster mushrooms, chopped
4 tablespoons bourbon or whiskey
2 cups dry white wine, like Chardonnay
2 cups no-salt chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
6 tablespoons toasted walnuts, chopped
What To Do
Note: Instead of preparing dish in 2 batches, you will get better results if you work 2 pans simultaneously, dividing the ingredients between pans.
1. Lay chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, patting off excess.
2. In 2 large skillets over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons butter in each pan until melted. Add chicken, 4 halves per pan, and cook until nicely browned on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Remove chicken and set aside until needed.
3. Reduce heat to low, divide shallots and pear between pans, sauteing for 2 minutes. Then add mushrooms to each and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Divide bourbon, Chardonnay and chicken broth between pans, increase heat to high and let sauce boil until slightly thickened and reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
5. Return chicken to sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is firm and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with remaining salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place each chicken breast on a plate and divide sauce among them. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve immediately. Divide chicken among 4 plates and pour a little sauce over each.
Return to Chicken Recipes index
Main Dish Recipes