What You Need
2 tablespoons chili powder
3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 package (15 oz.) firm tofu
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup honey
1 can (15 1/2 oz.) red kidney beans, undrained
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
What To Do
1. Using a cheese grater, shred tofu and freeze in zippered bag or airtight container overnight.
2. Thaw tofu; place in a strainer and press out excess liquid.
3. In large saucepan or dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir onion, green pepper and garlic 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown.
4. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and crushed red pepper.
5. Stir in tofu; cook and stir 1 minute.
6. Stir in diced tomatoes, kidney beans, tomato sauce, honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Source: National Honey Board
Return to Chili Recipes index
Main Dish Recipes