What You Need
2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 teaspoon oil
1 cup dried kidney beans, cooked, unsalted, drained
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup water
1/16 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
What To Do
1. Cook green pepper and onion in oil in small frypan until tender.
2. Stir in beans, tomato puree, corn, 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
3. Cover and cook over low heat until flavors are blended - about 15 minutes.
4. Mix cornmeal, water, and 1/16 teaspoon salt.
5. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until very thick - about 3 minutes.
6. Spread cornmeal mush over bean mixture to form a crust.
7. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon chili powder over top of crust.
8. Cook over low heat, with lid ajar, until topping is set - about 7 minutes.
Source: Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA
Return to Mexican Recipes index