What You Need
1/3 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon flour
1 cup dried kidney beans, cooked, unsalted drained
1/3 cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups lettuce (torn into bite-sized pieces)
1 small tomato, cut into chunks
1/4 coarsely chopped green pepper
8 corn tortilla chips, crumbled
What To Do
1. Cook beef and onion until beef is well browned. Drain. Stir in flour.
2. Stir in beans, tomato puree, water, and seasonings.
3. Cook over low heat until thickened - about 10 minutes.
4. Mix lettuce, tomato chunks, and green pepper.
5. To serve, place half of lettuce mixture (about 1 1/2 cups) on each plate. Mound half of beef mixture (about 3/4 cup) in center of lettuce mixture. Sprinkle crumbled cornmeal chips over beef mixture. Serve immediately.
Source: Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA
Return to Mexican Recipes index