This Split Pea Soup recipe starts with a whole ham in the pot! Serve as a hot lunch, or freeze in small portions for use later as a side dish.
What You Need
8 cups water
1 pound dried split peas
1 (1 or 2 pound) boneless smoked ham
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
What To Do
1. Add peas to water in large stock pot and bring to boil. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
2. When hour is up, add whole ham plus onion, salt and pepper to pot. Cover; simmer until peas are tender, about another hour.
3. Remove ham; cut into half-inch cubes.
4. Add ham cubes back to soup, plus carrots and celery.
5. Cover; simmer 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Return to Soup Recipes index