Sweet and Hot Red Pepper and Tomato Soup Recipe
What You Need
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 stalk celery, chopped
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
6 tablespoons honey
2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, chopped, reserve juice
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
What To Do
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
2. Add leeks, celery and peppers; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Stir in cayenne and ginger; cook 1 minute.
4. Stir in tomatoes with juice, broth, honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Cool soup slightly; puree in blender or food processor until smooth.
6. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary and serve sprinkled with mint and parsley.
Note: This Sweet and Hot Red Pepper and Tomato soup can be served warm or cold.
Return to Soup Recipes index