This Basic White Bread recipe makes 2 loaves.
What You Need
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry milk
2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 (1/4-ounce) packets active dry yeast
2 cups very warm water (120F to 130F)
What To Do
1. Using a karge mixing bowl, whisk 3 1/3 cups of flour with the next five ingredients.
2. Add warm water. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead dough for 5 minutes then let rest for 5 minutes. Knead dough another 5 minutes or until dough feels smooth and elastic.
4. Place in a large, well-greased bowl; flip to turn greased-side up. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Punch down dough and divide in half. Form into two loaves and place into two greased 9x5x3 loaf pans. Cover; let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until each loaf has doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 425F.
7. Bake loaves 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown on top and sound hollow when tapped.
8. Remove from oven. Immediately remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack.
Return to Bread Recipes index
More Side Dish Recipes