Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
What You Need
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening
1 cup buttermilk
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs are formed.
3. Add buttermilk using a fork to form a soft dough.
4. Knead dough a few times until smooth, then pat or roll until dough is about 3/4-inch thick. Cut out biscuits using a biscuit or cookie cutter.
5. Place biscuits two inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
6. Gather trimmings, reform dough and keep cutting - you should get about 12 biscuits.
7. Bake in preheated oven 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Return to Biscuit Recipes index
Banana Bread Recipes