Buttermilk Honey Bread Recipe
You can choose loaves or rounds for this Buttermilk Honey Bread Recipe.
What You Need
1 1/2 packages active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon salt
6 to 6 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
What To Do
1. Add warm water (105F to 115F) to small bowl and sprinkle yeast and sugar over the water. Stir and let stand about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. In a large bowl, add buttermilk, butter, honey and yeast mixture and combine.
3. Add salt and 2 cups flour and whisk vigorously.
4. Add remaining flour a half-cup at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition.
5. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until dough is smooth and satiny. Add flour as needed to prevent sticking, 1 tablespoon at a time.
6. Place dough into greased bowl, turning dough over to grease its top as well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm area until dough has doubled in size.
7. Deflate dough gently and turn out onto floured surface. Divide into two equal amounts and form into rounds or loaves, as preferred. If using rounds, place on greased baking sheet; or place loaves into greased loaf pans.
8. Cover dough and let rise until each portion has doubled in size.
9. Preheat oven to 375F.
10. Bake bread about 30 minutes, until it tests done. Let cool on wire racks.
Return to Bread Recipes index
More Side Dish Recipes