Country Style Cornbread Recipe
Like many Southern cornbread recipes, this Country Style Cornbread recipe calls for bacon drippings. You can substitute vegetable oil if you don't have drippings handy. This recipe makes 6-8 servings.
What You Need
2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons bacon drippings, melted
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Grease a 9-inch skillet (use shortening or, if available, bacon grease).
3. Place pan in oven to preheat.
4. Combine cornmeal, eggs, buttermilk and melted bacon drippings. Mix well.
5. Pour batter into hot skillet.
6. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Return to Cornbread Recipes index
Banana Bread Recipes
More Side Dish Recipes