Granny's Cornbread Recipe
What You Need
2 1/2 cups sifted white cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons bacon grease
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Grease an 8-inch skillet and put in oven for 3 minutes, or until grease in skillet is smoking.
3. Meanwhile, beat eggs together until light.
4. Add milk, bacon grease and salt, then add cornmeal. Beat until smooth.
5. Sift in baking powder.
6. Dissolve baking soda in a spoonful of water, then add to batter and stir well.
7. Pour into prepared hot skillet. Increase temperature to 425F and bake 15-20 minutes, until top is brown and crusty.
Return to Cornbread Recipes index
Banana Bread Recipes
More Side Dish Recipes