Mississippi Cornbread Recipe
This Mississippi Cornbread recipe makes 6 servings.
What You Need
2 cups stoneground white cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup bacon drippings
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Add bacon drippings to a 9-inch cast iron skillet and heat skillet in oven until bacon grease starts smoking. While skillet is heating, prepare batter.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
3. Add eggs and buttermilk together and whisk thoroughly to blend.
4. When skillet is ready, remove from oven and slowly pour all but 1 tablespoon of the hot fat into the batter, beating quickly with the whisk while pouring (be careful!).
5. Tip skillet from side to side to coat it with remaining bacon grease.
6. Pour batter into skillet.
7. Bake on top rack of oven 25-30 minutes, or until top is firm.
8. Remove from oven and turn out onto a plate, then return it to skillet upside-down. Bake another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Return to Cornbread Recipes index
Banana Bread Recipes
More Side Dish Recipes