What You Need
1/4 cup bacon drippings or oil
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
What To Do
1. Heat drippings or oil in a large well-greased black iron skillet.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, soda and sugar. Add buttermilk and stir rapidly.
3. Add eggs and mix. Add hot drippings and stir rapidly.
4. Pour batter into hot skillet (see note), cover, reduce heat.
5. Cook on top of stove until bread is lightly browned and almost cooked through - enough that you can turn the corn bread easily with a wide spatula or pancake turner - about 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Turn and brown on other side, about 2 minutes. Cut into wedges to serve. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Notes: If you have an electric range, heat two burners - one hot, the other on low. When you pour the batter into the hot skillet, move immediately to low-heat burner to finish.
Return to Cornbread Recipes index
Banana Bread Recipes
More Side Dish Recipes