This Deli Rye Bread recipe makes two delicatessen-style loaves. The source is the Kraftfoods.com Web site.
What You Need
3 cups rye flour, divided
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups Post Bran Flakes
2 packages active dry yeast
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 1/4 cups water, divided
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter or margarine
1 square Bakers Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
What To Do
1. Mix 1 cup of rye flour, 2 cups of all-purpose flour, cereal, yeast, caraway seed, salt and onion powder in large bowl.
2. Place 2 cups of water, vinegar, molasses, butter and chocolate in saucepan. Cook on low heat until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
3. Add liquid mixture into dry ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed just until blended. Then beat on medium speed 3 minutes.
4. Add remaining 2 cups rye flour and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour; stir until a stiff dough forms.
5. Place dough on lightly floured board and knead 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
6. Transfer dough to greased bowl and cover with clean towel. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, for 60 to 90 minutes or until it doubles in size.
7. Punch down dough, then divide in half. Shape each half into ball. Place 1 ball in each of 2 greased 8-inch round baking pans or on 1 large greased baking sheet.
8. Cover with clean towel; let rise 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
9. Preheat oven to 375F. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
10. Meanwhile, blend cornstarch with remaining 1/4 cup water in small saucepan. Bring just to boil; brush over tops of loaves. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until glossy.
11. Remove loaves from pans to cool on wire racks.
Return to Bread Recipes index
More Side Dish Recipes