Pumpernickel Bread Recipe
This basic Pumpernickel Bread recipe makes two loaves.
What You Need
3 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105F to 115F)
1/2 cup molasses
4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons caraway seed
2 3/4 cups rye flour
2 3/4 to 3 1/4 cups flour
What To Do
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water, then stir in molasses, salt, shortening, caraway seed and rye flour.
2. Beat until smooth. Add enough white flour to make dough easy to handle.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured board. Cover and let rest 10-15 minutes, then kneed about 5 minutes, or until smooth.
4. Place dough in greased bowl and turn over once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until approximately double in volume (about 1 hour).
5. Punch dough down, reshape, cover, give it a second rising.
6. Grease baking sheet and dust with cornmeal.
7. Punch dough down and divide into two loaves, shaping each into a round, flat loaf. Put loaves on opposite corners of baking sheet. Cover and let rise 1 hour.
8. Heat oven to 375F. Bake loaves 30-35 minutes.
Return to Bread Recipes index
More Side Dish Recipes