This Whole Wheat Bread recipe makes 2 loaves.
What You Need
5 to 6 cups whole wheat flour (fine-ground)
2 tablespoons wheat gluten (optional)
1 teaspoon dough conditioner
1 7-gram packet instant yeast
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted, slightly cooled
What To Do
1. Using a stand mixer, add three cups flour to mixer bowl, plus yeast, then 2 cups water (at room temperature). Mix with a dough hook for 30 seconds or until the yeast is dissolved and ingredients begin to combine.
2. Add salt, sugar, and butter and continue mixing.
3. Add most of remaining flour, plus wheat gluten (if using) and dough conditioner. Continue mixing at medium speed for at least four minutes until dough reaches a soft dough consistency (add more of reserved flour as needed). The dough should clear the sides of the bowl while remaining soft to the touch.
4. Transfer dough to a large greased bowl and turn once to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
5. The following day, remove dough from refrigerator and let it warm to room temperature (dough should nearly double in size; this may take around three hours).
6. Split the risen dough to form two loaves.
7. Place each loaf into well-greased pan (turn once in pan to coat loaves); cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 90 minutes (loaves should approximately double in size).
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
9. Place loaves on same shelf in top half of the oven spaced apart to allow circulation. Bake appromiately 30 minutes.
10. Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire rack.
Return to Bread Recipes index
More Side Dish Recipes