Stuffed Sweet Peppers Recipe
What You Need
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes in pureť
1/3 cup dried currants or raisins
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 can (8 3/4 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained
4 medium green bell peppers, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) vegetable broth
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
What To Do
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot; cook and stir rice, onion and parsley 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice begins to brown.
2. Stir in cinnamon, pepper and salt.
3. Gradually add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, cook green pepper halves in boiling water 5 to 7 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender; drain.
5. Combine tomatoes, honey, and crushed red pepper in 13 x 9-inch baking pan; mix well. Remove 1/4 cup sauce; set aside. Arrange pepper halves on sauce in baking pan.
6. When rice is cooked, remove from heat; stir in garbanzo beans, dried currants and reserved 1/4 cup sauce.
7. Divide rice evenly among pepper halves in baking pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
Source: National Honey Board
Return to Vegetable Recipes index